Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Model Letter to NY Times

Happy New Year, Gentle Readers! Only 384 days to go until someone who is NOT George W. Bush takes the oath of office for U.S. president! Let's start this year off right, shall we? Yesterday, I complimented the New York Times (supposedly the "paper of record" for the USA, but moving increasingly to the Right editorially and making increasing journalistic errors in the last decade or so) for their editorial amounting to a political obituary for this worst of all U.S. presidencies.



But, caught up in New Year's celebrations (which for me, someone who dislikes crowds and is married to a minister, is really rather tame and boring--at least until the kids are asleep and my bride & I are behind closed doors! :-) ), I missed the announcement that the Times is hiring notorious rightwing hack, Bill Kristol of the Moonie-owned Washington Times as a columnist! Yes, the Bill Kristol who has argued that the NY Times ought to be prosecuted for reporting on illegal activities of the Bush admin.! One of the chief apologists for everything the unsigned editorial I praised yesterday was bemoaning! The Rush Limbaugh of print journalism. The rabid dog who makes even William Safire look sane. THAT Bill Kristol, who apparently will get to keep his job at the Washington Times, too!



So, although I subscribe to the out of town, weekend edition of the NY Times and it's online, electronic edition, I am making my first New Year's resolution to cancel those subscriptions. Join me. Here is a great model letter I found on the Huffington Post to circulate and send into the folks at the so-called "paper of record." We won't get the media reform we need to reclaim our democracy by continuing to support the abdication of serious journalism by the mainstream media. So, though I'll probably make other resolutions (including losing weight), I'm starting off this year by telling the NYT that Kristol goes or I go--they can't have us both. Join me, won't you?

No comments: