Monday, December 31, 2007

NY Times "We Cannot Recognize Our Country"

Since 9/11, I have lost much respect for the "paper of record" in the U.S. Yes, Judith Miller showed journalistic courage in refusing to rat out sources on the Scooter Libby fiasco--but first, she wrote all sorts of crap that helped fuel the fire for the war in Iraq. (She was basically a stenographer for the Bush propaganda, without ever checking to see if it was true. You know, without exercising proper journalistic skepticism and doing some digging?) Then there was the fake stories scandal related to a now-fired reporter. Then, since I have friends in Africa and Central Asia, I began finding all kinds of errors in their coverage of (and editorials on) international news. Which made me suspect their coverage on domestic news, too.

But as this editorial this morning on New Year's Eve shows, every once in awhile the Times gets it right! This is so right it's almost like they remembered to be journalists!

Wow! What's next? Supporting the movement to impeach Bush & Cheney? Nah, probably not. Still, I hope this editorial is repeated throughout the nation--starting with the Louisville Courier-Journal and the Lexington Herald-Times.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems a bit lame and a bit late, not to mention slightly restrained. I suppose they didn't have much choice either, with the truth being far more widely recognised now. They've realised they would look pretty foolish after the elections if they hadn't published something like this now. Perhaps I'm a cynic and they are demonstrating courageous honesty. Good luck to America though but I wish the rest of the world were self sufficient. I'd like my island to be completely independent of it.

Michael Westmoreland-White, Ph.D. said...

I rather expect that most Kiwis share that sentiment, Steph--and it is probably widespread outside of New Zealand, too.

I don't deny that the Times' editorial is late and restrained (the latter is characteristic of their style--even when they called on Nixon to resign back when they had more guts and integrity). Nor are they courageous. They are simply, for once, right.
And being as influential as they are, it matters when they are right. I can say it earlier, stronger, etc., but I do not have the bullhorn that the Times does.

Anonymous said...

I wish that you did! The world would be better for it. BTW I didn't read a congratulatory tone in your post - merely, as you say, a recognition that they are right (for once).

If I could vote (and I think we should be allowed, all things considered) I would vote for Obama. Absolutely.

Smiley face (I can't do those on blogs).

Michael Westmoreland-White, Ph.D. said...

Well, I am still divided between Obama and Edwards out of the frontrunners. But, by the time Kentucky's primary gets here, the Democratic nominee will probably be decided and I'll support him or her against whichever knuckledragger the Republicans pick.

My dream candidate, who voted against the invasion in 2002, who wants us to create a "Department of Peace" that will work to make war obsolete, who is the only candidate to propose truly universal, not-for-profit, healthcare such as you Kiwis enjoy, is Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH), but, alas, he has less chance of winning the presidency than I have of winning the Miss Universe Beauty Pageant.

Anonymous said...

That's truly awful. He's God's gift to America and yet such a religious country would seem to reject him. Good luck.

I think you should you should emigrate. Here. But I suppose that wouldn't benefit America.

Michael Westmoreland-White, Ph.D. said...

I was tempted to move to Canada when we invaded Iraq and again the day after the 2004 elections, Steph. I'd love to visit New Zealand, but moving there would mean I would probably never see my father or extended family again. Canada was a less extreme option.

But I couldn't do it. I feel called to make this nation better--to remind it of its best moments and promise. It's the same reason, I moved back to the South (although KY is on the border of the South and Midwest and has a conflicted self-identity). I am convinced that a progressive South is the key to a progressive U.S.--and as Brer Rabbit says to Brer Fox in the Uncle Remus stories, "Ah was BORN in that Briar Patch!"

But that doesn't mean I don't continue to need the support and friendship of friends around the globe, including you, the only Kiwi I "know." Hopefully, I can afford to come visit some day.

Anonymous said...

I understand the family situation and calling - but when you do visit us and I hope you do, I look forward to meeting you and your family and offering good Kiwi hospitality and chauffering ... gosh, another excuse for more tiki touring of our islands!