Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Quick Notes

  • Hillary's Choice to Improve America's image is. . . Bubba and Bush I? Okay. I DO actually think Hillary's repeatedly announced strategy of rebuilding U.S. influence in the world by sending prominent, well-respected Americans on friendship tours beginning the day after the November elections is a good one. We have 8 years of damage to repair and this can be done without waiting until inauguration or passing new laws. But I thought she had in mind people like fmr. President Jimmy Carter (disliked by the U.S. Right and even some Democrats, but enjoying nearly universal respect globally), New Mexico Governor (and former UN Ambassador Bill Richardson), Andrew Young (Civil Rights legend, former U.S. Rep., former UN Ambassador under Carter, former mayor of Atlanta), former Senator and Ambassador Carol Mosley-Braun, retired Gen. Wes Clark. Heck, maybe even some socially-involved celebrities like Angelina Jolie or Oprah Winfrey, I don't know. But a tour by Bill Clinton and W's Daddy? To help America's image? And notice that Daddy didn't like being volunteered or the implication that he needs to help clean up after Junior. Bubba Bill shoots off his mouth again and Hillary must pay the price.
  • As expected, FCC Chair and Bushie, Kevin Martin, defies Congress, the will of the people expressed in countless hearings, and everybody except big business and forces changes in FCC regs to allow EVEN MORE media consolidation. Prepare now, folks, for a huge fight to get Congress to force the FCC to give us our airwaves back.
  • New evidence surfaces that Bush knew LAST WINTER that Iran no longer had an active nuclear weapons program. But he still keeps beating the drums of war.
  • Iraq used to be one of those rare places in the Middle East where women could enjoy relatively high status: go to university, own their own businesses, etc. Now, women not conforming to strict fundamentalist views of Islam are regularly raped and killed. Way to spread democracy and human rights, W.
  • The world powers gathered in Paris to pledge over $7 billion U.S. in economic aid to Palestine. The move was welcomed, of course, but will not help if the world does not also uses its muscle to end the Occupation. And how will aid get to Gaza, under complete Hamas control and Israeli shut-down? An Israeli airstrike on the radical Islamic Jihad in Gaza came just hours after this donor conference.
  • The oceans are growing more acidic. We may lose the remaining living coral reefs, upsetting entire eco-systems.
  • A Basra police chief says the departing British troops have not left behind stability but "murder and chaos." Yes, the British have done better in Iraq than the U.S.--that's just not saying all that much.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The reason I've come home from the other side of the world is because of Bush and the powerful dictatorship of America. It wasn't so-called the "terrorist threat" or even Iran (nobody believed they had a programme - we all knew it was like the Iraqi WMDs, something else we never believed). I couldn't stick my overseas residence. It was America that made me terrified being away from my own land. If they decided to "preemptively strike" I'd be stuck on the wrong side of the world. Every time "America" said anything, I shuddered. It is America that makes me feel unsafe. So what I'm a coward, I have no strength. If Bush's daddy comes here, send him on a Bungy jump with a faulty cord - and invite his little bubba too. Oh I didn't say that. I'd be happier with Obama but why was he so gullible as to believe that Iran ever had a nuclear programme?

Anonymous said...

I've just realised Bubba is Bill Clinton not wee Billy Bush - it was wee bully Bush I wouldn't mind falling into the river from a broken cord, not Clinton. I don't think he was such a great threat to the rest of the world like the Bush clan.

Nothing wrong with Bubba - I think it was my Grandma's nickname.

Michael Westmoreland-White, Ph.D. said...

Steph, Bill Clinton was repeatedly referred to as "Bubba" during his presidency by friend and foe alike. G.W. Bush is known as "W" or Dubya or Bush 43(43rd U.S. Pres.) to distinguish him from George H.W. Bush--"Poppy" or Bush 41. The late, great, Texas liberal columnist Molly Ivins would refer to the junior George Bush as "Shrub." His younger brother, who was governor of Florida until 2006, is Jeb. I don't know of any Billy Bushes in the family.

I am sorry that fear has driven you from finishing your degree in the U.K. I think things will get better, although I think it will be MANY years before the U.S. becomes the nation I know it can be.

Anonymous said...

No, the PhD is still being written. I just prefer to spend less time away from home and I hate feeling frightened. I don't at home. Dragging my books and cat around the world...

Anonymous said...

silly me - in a moment of amnesia I had forgotten smug Shrub's name was George not William ... hence I wouldn't mind if both Poppy and smug Shrub (not Billy) exited the stage. Actually the UK made me shudder - everytime smug Shrub spoke, Blair and then Brown jumped ... one of the things I like about home is that we just haven't got involved. And our current government doesn't get sucked in by smug Shrub's whopping stories. On an individual level we are pretty much into self sufficiency - I'd like to see that to a greater degree on a national level. And as for oil - why not employ the sheep and cart? Although I'll stick to walking and a bike.