Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Alert to the Right: Michelle Obama Has Always Loved This Country

The Right has tried to take Michelle Obama's remark the other day that "for the first time in [her] adult life" she was "really proud of [her] country" and make it a charge that she is not patriotic. (John McCain had Cindy declare repeatedly her pride in this nation.) The context showed that Michelle Obama was speaking of the engagement of long apathetic voters, the desire for change, the work to make a better nation and world. And, although the off the cuff wording was an unfortunate gaffe in an election, God knows I've been deeply embarrassed by my country these last years (invading Iraq, killing civilians, Abu Ghraib, Gitmo, waterboarding, Plamegate, etc., etc.).

But here's Michelle Obama in Rhode Island, today, explaining the remark. Take that, Bill O'Reilly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh bother another You Tube thing which I can't hear on my dial up - so I don't know what she said. I'm not sure what she's proud of yet, but while you may have been embarrassed at times, I am always deeply afraid of America. By the way, I sincerely hope that you are well ... it gets worrisome when you don't blog for ages.

Marty said...

Just checking in. Hope you are ok.